550 Squadron Crew
F/O P M Roche and Crew
F/O Roche and crew were posted to 550 Sqdn w.e.f 8th July 1944:
- F/O P M Roche RCAF (P) (KIA)
- Sgt P A O Adams (F/Eng) (KIA)
- F/O R W Archer RCAF (Nav) (KIA)
- F/O D Rudd (A/B) (KIA)
- F/O S G Spakowski (W/Op) (KIA)
- F/O R F Calderhead (MU/AG) (KIA)
- F/O E T Meaker (R/AG) (KIA)
The crew flew only five operations: the first on 19th July, and the last 28th July when they were lost on a raid to Stuttgart. Sadly this was a very short period they had on the Squadron (although not the shortest of tenures on the squadron, close to it). All of the crew were killed and are buried in Blamont Cemetery, France.
F/O Roche had of course done one more than the rest of his crew; so six ops. He flew his "second dicky" op as 2nd pilot to F/O Wareham, 18th July Caen, ME776.
Other information about the final flight and the target available here.
The entry on the 550 Squadron Roll of Honour is available here.
See also the following (external links):
- Crash du Avro Lancaster - type B I/B III - s/n LM455 BQ-T
- The crash site of Paul Roche's Lancaster III LM455 BQ-T (YouTube)
|F/O Paul Martin Roche
Thanks to Christine Lang (great niece) for making the picture available
|Memorial to F/O Roche and crew
Precise location given at: Lancaster LM455 Memorial